Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Menlo Class of 1964 Welcomes Back Scott Clinton!


Hi Bill and Mike:
I regret I will be unable to join you and our classmates later this week.  I made plans many months ago for a lengthy trip to Spain where I will remain for several months...
It's hard to believe we are all in our late 60's! Where did the time go!  My journey over the years was filled with many "twists and turns."  I started at UCSB but later transferred to USC.  I thought I might pursue a career in journalism or film making but that never occurred (BTW while at USC I met George Lucas. We all told George no one was interested in science fiction and he should go in a different direction!  But George stuck with his passion and the rest is history!).
I returned to New York to work briefly as a trainee at a large advertising firm.  Not quite like Mad Men, but I sure had an interesting behind the scenes look at the ad world.  I became interested in the financial markets and wound up as a trainee at Reuters.  From there I returned to California and joined a small investment banking firm that helped public agencies finance long term capital improvements.  I remained there almost 30 years--first in LA and later in San Francisco.  I married but, divorced, although I am still good friends with my ex.  My 30 year old son has a PhD in neuroscience and works near Baltimore.  My 25 year old daughter designs clothes and is trying to make it in the fashion industry...
Since my retirement several years ago, I began to study the guitar-- flamenco which has always attracted me.  I have many friends and teachers in Spain and visit the country often.  I am still very much a student and my hands do not "move" like an 18 year old but I find it enjoyable none the less...The photo was taken last week in a famous flamenco museum in Malaga, Spain.  Of course my musical interests may have been stimulated by the jug band Robbie Krieger, Bill Wolff, Jerry Dunn and I started while at Menlo.  I remember the day we performed for students, teachers, and parents at a luncheon.  The photo on the reunion notice postcard was shot at that event.  I don't think they were quite prepared for our band! Conservative Menlo School had never seen anything quite like it!  Of course as we all know Robbie went on to stardom in the world of rock and roll and Billy was --and I hear still is --a wonderfully talented player with a focus on jazz.
Please say high to both if they attend the reunion...I now live in Santa Fe, NM--a city I have been visiting for more than 40 years.  If anyone wishes to reach me they can do so at this email address: scottclinton.nm@gmail.com
The world sure seems a lot more complicated place than it was during our time at Menlo.  Of course we had the Viet Nam war, the psychedelic revolution, hippies, and the usual scandals in government but somehow-- in retrospect-- it sure seemed like an idyllic time for us all...
Wishing you all the best of health and hope you all have a great time at the reunion. Feel free to share this email with the attendees...

Best regards,
Scott Clinton
Class of '64

No comments: